Thursday 26 August 2010

On right and wrong forms of evangelism

It being my day off, I've been thinking constructively about the music group.

Currently the "ensemble" consists of Erbert, on his electro-acoustic guitar with no working pickups, Elspeth on Zither and Oswald's energetic young nephew, Jimmy, on drums. Well, I say Jimmy on drums. I make him play in the village hall - keeps the volume about right in the chapel.  But between a nonagenarian guitarist, his toothless wife and a fourteen-year-old, spotty youth in a building on the other side of the village, I feel we're missing a certain joie de vivre about the music. It can be inclined to being pedestrian and, frankly, a little dull.

My conclusion has been that if we had a couple of 18-year-old girls singing in the music group, I feel that worship would be more accessible for young men. I've notice this work in the past. I don't quite understand it, and I wouldn't like to think any lust was involved. But I just get the feeling it might be quite a good evangelism tool. In a holy sort of way.

4 comments :

  1. I would think you would understand why 18 yo girls would make young men more interested in accessing worship, esp after the 2nd paragraph of the "Woman bent backwards" post from earlier this week. It causes the holy men your church to "lose focus" a little, but at least they are there! :)

    ROFLMAO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea Rev evangelism can never have enough tools... (trad)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob, for such behaviour did God punish the Israelites who associated with the Midianite women.

    Steve - it was to save us from jokes like that, that Monty Python died. Weekly. (also trad)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another novel approach is for the young women to wear identical dresses! This is sure to catch the eye.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl