Tuesday 17 August 2010

Protest(ant) the Pope

I rarely visit the Guardian's "Comment is Free" section. Too often, it appears to me, things that are free are not valued, and this would go for many of the valueless comments in this section.

It seems that, after a day's gnawing the carpet, the average follower of Comment is Free likes nothing better than to express hatred of somebody they disagree with, before going off to find another carpet to gnaw. I suppose you have to have a hobby, but it makes even train spotting - of which I have frequently repented with many a salty tear of regret - appear a useful redemption of your time.

However. I broke my habit to read the Church Mouse's article on the "Protest the Pope" meeting in Richmond.  And the first thing I suppose I should feel is gratitude that there are still libraries in Richmond at all. It is a surprise to hear they have not been declared "elitist", biased towards the literate, and closed.But I expect that the King James Version of the Bible is unavailable there, as it is in so many of our public facilities.

And yet I feel there are good reasons not to agree with the Pope - to be a Protestant, in the truest sense of the world. He does not appear to believe in faith alone for redemption, nor in Scripture as the sole source of religious belief. He appears to think that wearing "vestments" is in some way necessary and not damaging to the Faith. As far as I am aware he has never quoted Spurgeon. Nor does he reject the heretical orders of Priests and Bishops.  And he agrees with infant baptism.

It is time to ignore the fripperies of foaming-mouthed Guardian-reading atheists and get to the heart of the matter. Let us protest the Pope because he does not use the Redemption Hymnal or an overhead projector. Then we will be dealing with matters of substance.

1 comment :

  1. I'm sure there are many reasons to protest the Pope's visit, but in doing so one would be getting into bed with New Atheists such as Tricky Dicky Dawkins - never a pleasant concept.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl