Tuesday 10 August 2010

Holiday Club - Day 2

And so we came to Sisera. A rousing story with plenty of God's work being done.

I was however of the opinion that the "splitting headache" joke was done an awful lot of times. Especially as I'd always thought, at the time I preached on the story of Jael and Sisera, that I was being so original.

The adaptation of the children's song to "Is that a tent-peg in your eye" was quite amusing, however.

But I'm suffering some regrets over the choice of story, in retrospect. After all, not only was Jael a woman, but Deborah, the judge of Israel at the time, was as well. So the Lord's work was being done by strong, active women in leadership roles.  What on earth were we teaching the children - and especially the young girls - there?

I mentioned my thoughts to Marjorie this afternoon, and she agrees with me that although in Old Testament emergencies it was acceptable for women to take the lead, under the New Testament's guidance this is no longer required. As long as young men see visions and old men dream dreams, we're fine without the female instruction.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl