Saturday 7 August 2010

Conundrum

I've been sitting here all evening worrying about this.

My principles of biblical interpretation say that the commandments of the Old Testament, while important as examples, are not for the instruction of the church. Set free from the tyranny of the Law, we live in the light of the New Testament - which is why we can still ban the things we really disagree with.

But I've a problem.  According to Acts Chapter 10, all foods are right to eat.  But Acts 15 says to abstain from blood.

So you tell me - can I eat Black Pudding or can't I?

8 comments :

  1. it's probably OK if you don't strangle them first...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two reasons why one should not eat black pudding:

    1. My dad always told me that the book of Acts forbade it. (You don't want to argue with my dad.)
    2. It tastes 'orrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black pudding is one of those strange foods that recieves an exepmtion from all laws simply because it is so yummy, and therefore obviously inspired by a creative God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I thank you all for your remarks. I don't feel any more enlightened, however. I suspect that if, in line with 1 Corinthians 8, I eat it with a good conscience it will be fine. Although black pudding may not be so much food offered to idols as food offered to the idle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why would you want to seems to be the pertinent question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should not eat, and should dis-fellowship anyone in your congregation who is eating it or rumored to be eating it. Can't be too safe here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. eat black pudding, dis--fellowhip anyone who doesn't!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl