Sunday 3 October 2010

We burn the fields and scarper

Not a bad Harvest Celebration, all round.

Even the random direness of the music group was overcome by our tradition of using ordinary hymns, songs and choruses, and then just changing the words to be all about food.

Our adaptation of the old Martin Joseph song, "When I peel an onion it makes me cry" has always been my favourite. Although "My Pizza I give unto you" was quite nice as well.  While the perennial "Give thanks with a grapefruit tart" is always spoiled for me by the conviction that the tune is really "Go West" of Village People and Pet Shop Boys fame, and Hnaef will insist on doing the actions.
"He's got a Caramel Swirl in his hands" was a nod to those people who think the 1960s are still modern. And we finished with  the rousing "Did you feel the Sherbert Fountains Tremble?"


And this is not really related to the Celebration, just a footnote. But the person who found their way to this site by entering the words "nigella forklift" into Google - what did you think you were looking for?

2 comments :

  1. I would love it if you could post the rest of the lyrics of "Give thanks with a grapefruit tart".

    Incidentally, I have the same musical confusion as you with it. Indeed, unfortunately the first time I hear it was in a church with a rather large number of steps in the sanctuary, and the vision of Neil Tennant walking sideways up them as in the Go West video shot unbidden into my mind and gave me a fit of giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. something about "give thanks with a currant bun"?
    Sorry, not really a detail person...

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl