Monday 10 October 2011

Liturgy for the Nativity of Kirsty MacColl (1959)

Beaker People may wear Punk or 1980s Ra-ra wear, or "these shoes". A certain trepidation may hover over Beaker heads, as they worry that the Archdruid may come over all "Titanic Days".


Lament


All: Seven times in seven days
I've sat and wished my life away
I know the greyness comes and goes
But the sun don't shine
And the snow don't snow


Call to confession


Archdruid: Say sorry to the boys and girls
you’re sorry for this bloody world
Sorry for the sick and old
And sorry for the lies you told
Sorry for the things I did
The things we should have left unsaid
And walked away instead of
Rubbing salt on all those open sores and wounds
We should have left to heal.


All: Don't be sorry. I don't need your pity, baby.

Archdruid: Oh innocence has passed you by
A long long time ago

The Grand Gesture of Defiance

But one day you'll be waiting there
no empty bench in Soho Square
And I'll be painting stars up in the sky
Before I get too old to cry
before my birthday.

Dismissal

Archdruid: For you and me baby
This is journey's end

Beaker folk leave - Dancing in Limbo

And don't forget, kids - it's wrong to wish on space hardware.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl