Saturday 8 October 2011

Body and soul

Unlike the Archdruid, I follow a truly masculine game, where men in beards can hold each other tightly, or scamper across the sward, or stand around with their hands on their hips watching their colleagues kick oval balls, or just jump lithely into the air with their peers.

And I'm sure that our Rugby (Union) playing boys will show their round ball kicking compatriots how it should be done against the continental foe. No draws today, I'm certain. Though, half an hour in, it looks like we might lose valiantly instead.

Anyway, before the kick-off, one of the commentators suggested that the players needed to put their bodies and souls on the line for their country.

And I thought: bodies, yes. But souls? Has the Archdruid done some sort of sponsorship deal with Martin Johnson that I've not heard about whereby she has agreed to excommunicated the team if they lose? I know she has an entrepreneurial streak, but surely that's a step too far?

1 comment :

  1. What a disaster! (Not that I watched it.) Our boys certainly should have put their souls on the line to keep those Macedonians, I mean Frenchies at bay. And that Rooney should surely be excommunicated, if not something worse - I won't be explicit here as I don't want to get his family against me but it might involve him not having a ball left to play with. Oops, wrong game!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl