Tuesday 5 April 2011

Reading > Watching - A momentary lapse of attention

Phil Ritchie has posted a video of something to do with something called Spring Harvest. But is it just me? Or do we all suffer such a fore-shortening of the attention span that these days we can read a decently-sized blogpost (because it is possible to skim-read) but the thought of downloading and listening to an earnest Christian chap (or a Christian chap called Ernest) just seems to take too long? The guy (not Phil, who seems a decent enough bloke with a guitar round his neck, though he claims to be a drummer) but Gerard Kelly is probably telling us something valuable and interesting. But I'd rather read the text on a website while watching something else on TV and monitoring Twitter. As I say, it's probably me.

4 comments :

  1. The abstinence from port is beginning to take its toll Eileen:) Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it's not just you. I watched the Gerrard Kelly clip, but only because it was less than 2 minutes long. I have to be REALLY interested in the subject matter to spend more than that watching a video clip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's worse is that I flick endlessly through the same blog posts. I have read this one 4 times in the 20 minutes waiting in the "your call is important to us" loop of the Inland Revenue.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl