Sunday 3 April 2011

Mothering Sunday

This is the Sunday in the calendar when other churches in England - I say churches, let us rather call them "fellowships with a mere passing resemblance to authentic Biblical Christianity" - celebrate "Mothering Sunday", "Mother's Day" or, for the ironically pedantic, "Mothers' Day".

But I would not be drawn into their trap. I had seen the readings that the Church of England normally uses on this Sunday. And it is a blatant piece of Mariolatory.  You will notice the way in which Mary is mentioned both by name, and as our Lord's mother.

Clearly this is Scripture, and therefore to be taken as the word of God. And to be read in its right context. But to use the reading on a day called "Mothering Sunday" - clearly the dangers are there to be seen if it is so read.

This I explained to the faithful at our Sabbath gathering today. Using the overwhelming imagery of God's masculinity in  the Good Book - his thundering from heaven, his general designations as "Lord" and "Father". And I expounded for several minutes on why, therefore, at the Bogwulf Baptist Chapel, there would be no such festival as "Mothering Sunday" - it was to be shunned along with the New Moon Festivals and similar legalistic feasts of the unreformed Hebrew religion.  We, as Spirit-filled Baptist Christians living in a state of grace and free from legalism, would continue - of our own free wills, and not expecting reward - to celebrate the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy, and refrain from any unnecessary travel or exertion - except, of course, for the Baptibus's  godly tour around the Bedfordshire, Milton Keynes and Northamptonshire countryside.

Godly Brother (and Sister, with the mysteries of which I speak suitably explained, where required, by an approved close male relative or suitably-chaperoned Pastor) - I have rarely heard the collective intake of breath of 20 mothers expressed with such menace. I realised that I had made the grave mistake of upsetting a score of middle-aged matrons - no laughing matter, as I am sure you realise. Just upsetting Marjorie is bad enough - but 20 at one go? Now, my belief in my cause was deep, strongly-founded as on a rock. But I have already been hounded from one Baptist fellowship in the last twelve months, and for it to happen a second time might suggest I am indeed the "misogynistic halfwit with zero people skills" that Eileen suggests. And I am sure I heard one godly lady muttering under her breath about whether the ban on those with damaged testicles entering the holy place still applies in our Age of Grace. And so - prepared like St Paul to be "All things to all men" (and women, in this instance) I hastily re-introduced Mothering Sunday.

But I must stress - I did not bless those daffodils. I merely said a prayer over them, and if anything else happened, God did it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl