Friday 19 August 2011

The Futility of Fighting Wasps

I've been told by my Ethical Advisor that I'm not allowed to use non-organic methods to deal with our wasp infestation. I'm afraid that I really let my guard down there - she somehow managed to sneak into the building despite us putting that RF chip in her neck and setting up the detection system - but I"m obliged to act on her advice. I pointed out to her that DDT is very definitely an organic chemical within the meaning of the Act, but she said I know what she means.

Anyway, we've thrown her back out in the lane (she didn"t have time to tell us whether that was ethical or not) but now we have to act.

Therefore at today's Pouring out of Jam Jars ceremony, we"re going to be putting small amounts of jam and fruit juice in the bottom of empty PET bottles, which we will be hanging up around the Orchard.

Though frankly, how drowning insects in two inches of fermenting fruit sugar is more ethical than just poisoning them is beyond me. Sometimes I suspect the old traditional ways were best. And does God care much either way? Or did Sauron make wasps by warping the nature of bees? In which case did Saruman create hornets by crossing wasps with orcs?

2 comments :

  1. Next time I suggest throwing the Ethical Advisor into the wasps' nest and letting her deal with the problem. I presume she wouldn't swat any wasps or use any non-organic treatment for her stings. But I'm sure she would make a good Pied Piper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have an old Apple tree in the back Garden. The fruit was quite nice, but it didn't last and it was maggoty beyond belief. It was, however, great for concentrating wasps. The windfalls quickly began to rot and ferment on the down side and this concentrated the local wasp population. The down side became apparent when you picked up an apple that look sound from the top. All of a sudden you were faced with a faceful of drunken wasps. I found that the best way to deal with them was to go over the lawn with a mower and chop the apples and wasps into little bits. I assumed that they were chopped up, I never looked to see, but I never saw any drunken wasps flying or staggering about.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl