Saturday 29 June 2013

A Brief and Illogical Philosophical Diversion

I was thinking about the silly "you can't disprove an invisible unicorn" argument today. I must admit I've never had the slightest urge to disprove invisible unicorns.  Not least because it strikes me that they would probably be rather charming creatures.

But when you think about it,  there's all sorts of non-existent creatures that we can't prove don't exist. Giant invisible winged toads, stripy stealth badgers with radar deflection, Martian invisible rock hobbits and the Nestene Consciousness,  to name but - hypothetically - trillions. And we're still unable to disprove the existence of tribbles, though we think we're so clever.

In fact, by definition the imaginary things we can't disprove vastly outnumber the things we can - as for everything that we know exists we can hypothesise invisible versions - included giant, pygmy and green spotted versions.
And so, it seems to me, the universe may teem with invisible imaginary creatures - one or more of which may be looking over my shoulder as I write.  Maybe they're the source of all the extra mass we can't find in the universe.

Is it me or does it feel a bit crowded in here? I'd have a cup of tea to calm myself down, but I seem to have left my invisible cup in orbit again

2 comments :

  1. I think you need to be careful what you put in your tea Archdruid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so that's your invisible cup orbiting Russell's teapot.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl