Saturday 8 January 2011

Lord of the Dance? Nein Danke

Sydney Carter - what can I say? The man who had the same effect on the hymnody of the 60s as the architects of that time had on our urban landscape. The man who wrote that hymnodic equivalent of the South Bank complex, "Lord of the Dance". The man whose "Every Star shall sing a Carol" may even have inspired de Burgh's "Spaceman came travelling". The man who did for religious music what Luton Town do for football.  The man who found the perfect synthesis between heretical thought and naff folk tunes. Well, enough is enough.

After widespread consultation and a free vote, I am glad to announce that the Beaker Folk of Husborne Crawley are henceforth a Sydney Carter Free Zone.

From now on, we will not tolerate the playing of "Lord of the Dance" or "When I needed a neighbour".  "One more step along the world I go" will be regarded as a form of cruelty. Anyone even suggesting "Every Star shall sing a Carol" will be put on trial for heresy. And, to be fair, probably found innocent, as it's not a bad bit of speculative theology in its way despite the kitsch Xmassy tune. But never mind, it's going out  with the rest. In Husborne Crawley, when we throw out the bathwater, the baby goes with it. The SCFZ ban includes the possession, importation or exporting of Sidney Carter-related material. And humming. And Michael Flatley videos, to be on the safe side.
 
The "SCH-free" posters will be put up on all entrances to the Community Grounds, on the doors of the Moot House, and in every bedroom in the Great House. We will enforce this with particular vigour in the Doily Shed where, due to the inflammable nature of the contents, people will be at particular risk should a thunderbolt strike.

6 comments :

  1. Please draw me a map to your commune/camp/church/world. I want to move in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the feeling that you will start a new underground movement "Free Sidney Carter" although digging him up is not the option.

    I would volunteer to lead the underground movement, but the wrath of the Archdruid is fearsome and having heard the clatter of steel capped boots - I really need a new identity.

    I wonder if Drayton would be up for the job?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps I should volunteer for the free Sydney Carter movement.

    We once went to the same church, although we never met. he only wanted to go to 8am said BCP Communion, since he didn't like any of this modern stuff.

    True story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fr Egbert Twinkinson10:46 pm, January 08, 2011

    I have a tendency to get Sydney Carter and Sydney Carton mixed up until I remind myself: Sydney Carton was guillotined and didn't deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confuse Sydney with Howard. But feel that although Howard had to live with the curse of King Tut, at least he didn't write "one more step along the world I go".

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl