Saturday 15 January 2011

Distributed Membership

I note that Nick Page's "extra-ordinariate" is growing apace after a slow start. So slow, indeed, that I only heard about it this morning.

And I also note the popularity of "dispersed communities" whereby people can be members of religious groups without having to live there.

And I thought, I want some of that. But I wouldn't want any nasty exclusivity about the Beaker Folk. I reject exclusivity on principle. The principle that, even if somebody's a member of another organisation, I wouldn't like that to stop them giving me money.

So with a nod to the computing concept, I am glad to institute the concept of "distributed membership" of the Beaker Folk.

For distributed membership, there is no training necessary, no statement of belief to which to adhere.  No fee is payable and no form need be filled in.  You only have to adopt these two practices:

The Daily Ritual

Every morning, or at least fairly often, you should share in the Beaker daily verse - "What? Is that the time already?" (regional variations are allowed)

The Annual Obligation

Every November/December time you must find yourself humming "Fairytale of New York" at random times.

I am please to say that Distributed Membership of the Beaker Folk is already well into the millions, all of whom are currently unaware of the fact.  And as "Fairytale" continues to be played worldwide over the next few centuries, I look forward to us growing fast.

3 comments :

  1. This sounds very much like the Mormons - baptizing ancestors who did not even know they were Mormon.

    But I resign here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the conversation Big Sister had with her confessor wherein he attempted to convince her if she wanted to be a nun she had to go to the convent and move in with the other nuns.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl