Tuesday 17 May 2011

On Frugal Lunches

There is a tradition, shared by all well-meaning people (i.e. liberals and Christians) once in a while to eat something simple and give the money you would otherwise have spent to a worthwhile cause.

I remember, in my salad days at Oxford University, the Brown Rice Weeks.  At this long distance I can't remember whether Brown Rice Week was once a year, once a term or - as I seem to remember it - once a week. But the principle was simple. One paid for a standard dinner, and got a bowl of brown rice. The remainder being given to something I can't remember, but it was good.

Grown to later life, I came across the concept of the Frugal Lunch. On a similar scheme - one eats something cheap, and the money goes to a good cause. I'm not clear exactly what Frugals are, but I can confirm that they are normally used to make a kind of green, sludgy soup that you eat dried bread with.

So I've been up in the Archdruidical suite very early this morning, cooking a lot of bacon. I want to make sure that, when the Frugals are doled out, I've already got my fill of the proteins and complex carbohydrates so important to ensure good physical health in these trying modern times.

In many ways the Frugal Lunch sums up the important things about religion for me. Make sure it looks good. Do some good. And feel good yourself.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm just off to fry some more bacon.

2 comments :

  1. I thought 'frugal' was another word for 'leek' as it's always leek soup where I happen to be. A good accompaniment to loads of bacon methinks.

    Try a Greek Orthodox definition of frugal fare - it's amazing. You'll never want another chapel tea in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To feel really good about yourself you should grill the bacon.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl