Wednesday 25 May 2011

That Eureka moment

Everyone knows about the original "Eureka" moment. That was when the Greek scientist Archimedes ran down the street, stark naked, shouting "Eureka" - the Greek for "Where's the servant who filled my bath with cold water?"

But by co-incidence - or maybe, for I ascribe nothing to chance - Dawkins-incidence, I read about such experiences twice this morning . Firstly in relation to the young Australian student who seems to have found the Universe's "missing mass".
Ms Fraser-McKelvie said the ‘Eureka moment’ came when Dr Lazendic-Galloway closely examined the data they had collected.
And the second was in relation to the BBC's report of  lost pyramids found by looking - ironically, in reference to the previous article - down from space at the earth.
"We were very intensely doing this research for over a year. I could see the data as it was emerging, but for me the "A-Ha" moment was when I could step back and look at everything that we'd found and I couldn't believe we could locate so many sites all over Egypt."
But I can't for the life of me see how either of these are really "Eureka" or even "A-ha" moments. For far from extolling instant inspiration and brilliance, what both these articles seem to be suggesting is that if you want a "Eureka" moment you need to put in the spade-work - metaphorically, if not literally - first.

Surely if we applied this to spiritual life, the whole Beaker ethic would be shot to pieces. Instead of chasing after experience, lighting tea lights and adopting increasingly "creative" liturgy, we would find our spiritual moments at the end of long periods of quiet prayer, helping others, giving what we possess to those that need it (in a sustainable, long-term, planned way - not an end-of-the-world kind of way) and generally being nice, holy people. And where's the instant payback in that?

No, give me some proper scientists, I say. Scientists who spend their evenings guzzling cider and blackcurrant, their afternoons on the cricket field and every week, just as a form of light entertainment, dash off the equations that explain the 19th dimension of physics. That other type are boring, and just find stuff out after loads of hard work. Not the same at all.

* First link thanks for the information, @Pekingspring. A prolific provider of scientific information - although with the occasional habit of tweeting strong language from outside London nightspots.

2 comments :

  1. Who is he kidding, the missing mass of the universe is distributed between my garage, spare room and down the back of my sofa. I was working on a hypotheses that there was some unexplained mass in my garden shed but that turned out to be gravitational lensing due to garage-proximity.

    Actually we'd all like to be that scientist, the pay's not great though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr Egbert Twinkinson11:51 am, May 25, 2011

    Recovering from palpitations here. I am so glad I calmed down and read the whole article. My first thought was for the 5am said service at St Aethylfrigga's that should have happened back in March. Look, I DID forget the church keys and have to go back for them, but there was nobody waiting at the south door. Honestly.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl