Wednesday 11 May 2011

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish (X)

This evening we give thanks for that hoopy frood, Douglas Adams. Sadly lost to us 10 years ago. Without Adams, I strongly suspect the Community would not exist. Author of one of our founding statements, "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty". And the one who confirmed our belief that Reason is, indeed, out to lunch.

Beaker Folk assemble around Eddie the Shipboard Computer (A Kindle we've stuck some paper chains to - ticker tape is just so futuristic we couldn't find any)

Archdruid: What's up?

All: We don't know. We've never been there.

Marston Moretaine: I thought you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.


All: Marston, You're turning into a penguin. Stop it.


Marston: I seem to be having this tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle.


Archdruid: Did you see that sunset? It was like the sun was boiling into space, over Milton Keynes.

All: We've seen it. It's rubbish.


[Phone rings]


Archdruid: Burton? Where are you? The car park? What are you doing in the car park? Oh. Fair enough. No, I don't think it is that big.


Hnaef: "You know, it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with an Archdruid from Luton, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."

Archdruid: "Why, what did she tell you?"

Hnaef: "I don't know, I didn't listen."

Archdruid: This must be Wednesday. I never could get the hang of Wednesdays.

All exit in silence to get a cup of something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea, as the Disaster Area stunt ship crashes into the heart of the sun.


Young Keith [in the White Horse]:  Six pints of bitter. And quickly please, the world's about to end. And no, Arsenal have no chance. Some things never change.

1 comment :

  1. Is it 10 years ago already? I still remember the night we switched on he radio at bedtime and caught the very first episode of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Life has never been quite the same since. We've since listened to it zillions of times, but the very first time is unforgettable....

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl