Friday 6 May 2011

Sermon for Sigmund Freud's Birthday

Today we mark the birthday of Sigmund Freud. A towering figure in the 20th century. One whose analysis of dreams gave us such insight into our primeval sexes. Sorry, urges.

We owe so much to Sexy Friend. Sorry, Sigmund Fraud. Don't know why I said that. His insights into our condition freed us from our slavery to the straightjacket of19th century compulsion. I mean, conformity.
But we can see that Fraud can only take us too so far. If we want to go all the way to an understanding of the human condition we need to look for a young man. Sorry, look to the man, Jung. He it was who inserted spiritual values into the psychological. He understood the deeper, mythic values that lie within the human breast. He understood that it's not all about that horrid thing we try to drive below the surface - not that we should be ashamed of such unnecessariness.

My fathers and sisters. Sorry, brothers.  I was thinking about something else there for a moment. Let us raise ourselves up to sing the closing song, "Lord you put a tongue in my mouth". And then I must go for a walk in the grounds. I'm feeling a bit repressed. Sorry, depressed.

2 comments :

  1. Funny, that. After "Lord you put a tongue in my mouth" I tend to collapse laughing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Thank you. Now I have to take a fifteen minute break ... in which to stop laughing so I can ... go write my sermon.

    WV: torbosms. Srsly.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl