Wednesday 9 March 2011

Mrs Hnaef and Lent

I greeted Mrs Hnaef with a cheery "Good morning" today, and received no reply. This, in itself, is no particular surprise, but I checked, and she seemed to be fully awake.

This is also not unheard of, but, on reflection, I remembered that I hadn't come back late from The White Horse singing rugby songs last night, which is the usual reason for such silence. On racking my brains, I could think of no reason for the "cold shoulder" at all: not only have I not performed any obvious "transgressions" recently, but I've also not tried to make up for any: which is often just as destructive.

But Mrs Hnaef greeted the milkman quite cordially this morning, and even had a word for Drayton (not a word I would repeat in polite company, as it happens). I wondered whether I was dreaming, but on trying to fly, I fell rather painfully down the stairs. And I seem able to interact with my computer in the normal way, so I seem to be alive. She just isn't talking to me, or even seeming to notice my existence.

It seems that Mrs Hnaef has given me up for Lent.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl